Thursday, January 11, 2007

I'm alive! And seasick!

So, I haven't been the most diligent about posting...but that's a sign that (almost) all is well, of course. Too busy to self-narrate! Unfortunately, a fair amount of the business involved woozily loafing about and intermittently wretching. I'm on a steady diet of dramamine (and Ridiculously rich food--caviar is the Queens' class version of ye olde sprig of parsley, if that makes any sense at all. If it doesn't, do me the favor of remembering that I'm on the all time high of my life, and I'm reporting about it at 1:00 am, on my way to... (silly voice) Tortuuuuuuga. Arrrrgh!...I'm filled with mercenary anticipation...and a sudden desire to buy a parrot.)

Gemma and the gang totally humored my request to shuttle an hour out of our way so I could stomp around the lush grounds of the FTBG, pretending to be a 20th century plant explorer. (Molecular schmolecular. Give me something I can hold! And smell! And fetishize! And don't you judge me!) I was a little concerned it might steal some of the thunder from our upcoming tropical destinations...But then, it was swiftly brought to my attention by my comrades that that idea was, indeed, purely retarded. I wore my ankles sore, hiking up, down, and over the whole place, trying to murmur the names of each plant so no one would laugh at my pathetically doomed attempts. It was so beautiful! It's funny...the trip itself is something I simply couldn't, as I said before, have imagined. But the garden I've imagined countless times before; it was already my dream to see it one day. That makes this trip officially "surdream": dreamier, even, than a real dream. If ever one was to have her cake and eat it too...which reminds me! Chihuly. It crosses into the realm of absurd, than on top of our world cruise (I didn't know water came in some of the colors we've already seen), I should not only get to see the garden I've jealously dreamed of seeing for years, but that it should simultaneously be dressed to the nines with art! If there's a God (and a heaven), I think he might be setting me up for a disappointment! All day long, I had to stop myself (okay, I Didn't stop myself) from surreptitiously sidling up to enormous palm fronds and candy-like contortions of glass and caressing my cheek against them. By the time we left, I was so giddy from sensory overload (having had to prick myself on every prickly pear, and being nearly blind from the dazzling cascade of colors) that I nearly matched the state my bosom roommates had by the time they came in for bed yesterday night. ...

All in all, things are going great. To say the least.

3 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Joe Bolte said...

Hey G-Funk All-stars,

So glad to follow along with your tropical adventures from the chilly comfort of my home here in Champaign. Some of the words are too big for me to understand, but it sounds like you're having lots of fun at least. Maybe I could fly out to Jakarta and you guys could pick me up and take me for a spin?

Love,
Joe

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Amber said...

Joe!

It's terrific to hear from you! And by all means, if you can make it to one of the ports of call, we'd love to adventure with you. Send me an email if you can, and we can work out the details!

And tell everyone and your mama we miss 'em (and you)!

Cheers,

Amber etal.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Connor said...

Jakarta is sexy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home