Monday, January 15, 2007

Musings regarding Treasure

This past weekend was so full of activity (shopping, partying, etc.) that I needed to spend some time alone this morning to unwind. I parked myself in my usual morning spot (on the balcony) with a mug of fancy coffee and put on my headphones, thinking to spend a couple of hours just watching the ship's passage through the canal. Before setting off for the cruise, I'd filled my iPod with music from Pantera, Metallica, Scum of the Earth, and Faith No More, so when the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th came on, I was quite surprised! Apparently it made it on to the playlist by mistake. Instead of skipping the track, I let it play, and it turned out to be a wonderful soundtrack to the sights around the ship. Overlooking the Panama Canal, I pretended to conduct the movement in my head.

Beethoven's 9th reminds me of treasure (pirate's booty, if you will) and Christmas, thanks to Die Hard (the best Christmas movie of all time). =)

I know no German, but wanted to know what the chorus was singing about. I found a translation online, however, and found that it's all about joy, joy, and more joy. For example:


Joy, thou glorious spark of heaven,
Daughter of Elysium,
We approach fire-drunk,
Heavenly One, your shrine.
Your magic reunites
What custom sternly divides;
All people become brothers
Where your gentle wing alights.
Whoever succeeds in the great attempt
To be a friend of a friend,
Whoever has won a lovely woman,
Let him add his jubilation!
Yes, whoever calls even one soul
His own on the earth's globe!
And who never has, let him steal,
Weeping, away from this group.


Hm. Joy. I suppose that it can be considered a type of booty. I wonder though, if anyone really pursues it as fervently as they pursue sunken pirate treasure, illegal drugs, and good old fashioned money. Such are the thoughts that the Caribbean inspires.


Ahoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home